World Dumbination - Stupidity Ad Infinininitum

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

or LXG to save me typing that all the time.

To start off with, I've never read LXG, so had no expectations or anything.
As scandalous as it is for a comics reader, I haven't read much Alan Moore stuff.

Due to the excessive gap in the release schedules between the US and the UK, I'd managed to hear a lot of reviews of it, and a lot of my friends opinions, and the general concencous was that the film was nothing special and tended to be almost pompous and exaggerated.

I however did enjoy it.
As I say, maybe it's because I've never read the original comics.

The plot was nothing spectacular, extremely predictable, but in a fun "yarn" sort of way. And I'm sure there's some deep and meaningful sub-theme about the nature of fiction, comics and superheroes in general.
The character interaction was what the film was all about, and it worked well, possibly even well enough to tempt me to read the trade.
I shall have to get round to actually registering at the library first though. Heh, only been living here two years now and still haven't joined.

There isn't a part that stands out as being the best, or even memorable in my mind, and I can't say I'd pay to see it again/buy it, but it was entertaining enough, and not one of those films where I'm looking at my watch every few minutes waiting for the end. The time just went by, without having to think too hard or get too involved in the plot.

And occasionally that's just the kind of film I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home